Thursday 18 March 2010

Sticks and string

Today's been an odd day in Edinburgh. It's now spring, the winter coat has been swapped for a mac and there's warmth in the air. But today there were leaden clouds and gusts of wind, and heavy air. It feels like a storm is coming, and the anticipation means I just can't settle. 

So rather than do the important but boring things I'd planned, I'm here, blogging. And - wait for it - it's going to be about knitting. 

I've been knitting on and off for years, but only progressed beyond scarves eighteen months ago. But since then I've got addicted. There's something soothing about the repeated actions, and the soft, beautifully coloured yarn. When I knit, I'm a perfectionist - no "that'll do", because I enjoy the process enough to rip it out and start again until it's right. And when what I do all day, while rewarding, interesting and sometimes even exciting, seldom gives me tangible results quickly, it soothes the soul to be able to point at an inch of even stitches and say "that's what I achieved today." Even more so to finish something beautiful, and know I made it.

More rewarding still, then, when I finish three projects within a month. So, here we have a boasting session. All links are to my project pages on Ravelry, where you can see more pictures and get the patterns - but you do have to have a login. But then, if you want to see lots of pictures of knitting, you should probably join anyway!

First of all, a shawl for a friend. Her birthday was in January and it's just finished, but in my defence she did only tell me what she wanted on Hogmanay.
Not the best picture in the world, possibly one of the worst, but you get the idea.

Then, armwarmers for me. A pattern I'd wanted to knit since I first saw Ravelry, and they go all the way to my elbow. Which for someone who seems to think wearing three quarter length sleeves in Edinburgh is a good idea, is quite exciting. I've been knitting these since Christmas, but they went on hiatus for the shawl.

And finally, a pair of experimental socks. Expermental, because they were my first "proper" pair, and I'm about to knit many, many more pairs. But more on that another time. Meanwhile, admire!


2 comments:

  1. The shawl is wonderful, and I LOVE the arm-warmers. We all live in them in our office whenever the aircon kicks in. Very useful items!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have them too! We don't have aircon, but our office is so cold in winter!

    ReplyDelete