Tuesday 6 April 2010

Yet more soup

I've realised that almost all the recipes I've posted so far have been for soup.

This will end soon. But not quite yet.

May I bring you a recipe for the best coloured soup in the world?

This, like many of my soups, has sprung from necessity. Every fortnight, I separate the veg box (yes, I know, bloody Guardian-reading smug middle class nonsense. Guilty as charged) into what will be used in our every day dinners, and what just won't. The alien lifeforms below? Just won't.


And recently, the just-won't pile consisted of not one but TWO celeriac alongside several beetroot. Necessity being the mother of invention, I turned them into the following soup. Just look at that colour - and it even tasted good.


Bright pink and surprisingly yummy soup
 (This being a made up on the spot recipe, the quantities are imprecise. Taste as you go along and see what you think)
Two small or one big celeriac
Three medium beetroot
Small tub sour cream or creme fraiche (or half of each if, like me, that's what you've got hanging round your fridge)
Stock to cover (cubes are fine - I used beef, but veg or chicken will be fine)
Juice of one lemon
Tsp ground ginger
A slosh of red wine vinegar
Serves eight

  1. Attempt to scrub your celeriac. Chop off the bits that won't come clean, peel and cut into large dice.
  2. Peel and chop beetroot. Don't answer the front door until you've washed your hands or you'll be arrested for murder.
  3. Bung in a massive pot and cover with stock/boiling water and roughly the right number of stock cubes. Boil until soft - about 15 minutes.
  4. Puree with a stick blender.Check texture - if it's so thick it resembles a bright pink building material, add more water and blend more.
  5. Lob in cream, ginger and lemon juice. Puree again to mix. 
  6. Taste. I'm deeply suspicious of sweet tasting main courses, so I tend to lob in a tablespoon or two of red wine vinegar to sharpen it up. If you like it as it is, leave it.
  7. Divide up into lots of containers - we had enough for 8. Freeze or keep in fridge, depending on when required.
  8. Reheat in the microwave at work and enjoy, admiring the colour.
 (That picture is the only picture in this post where I've messed around with the colours, as it was taken on my phone. The more unnatural looking pink in the first picture? That's the colour the soup really is).

5 comments:

  1. That is some amazing coloured soup.

    On another note - celeriac is excellent mashed, either as potato + celeriac mash, or on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the soup! I get a veggie box too and the past few weeks have gotten some celeriac that I didn't know what to do with. I eventually stir fried it tonight with a little garlic - most yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blonde - I tried mashing (yet another one) this weekend. Was v yum although a bit lumpy - must try harder!

    Blythie - I'll give stir frying a go. The veg box is due today, and I see more celariac in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good; ideal now that the summer has stopped pretending it's going to be warm and has reverted to type.

    BTW (and if I'm honest, the real reason for my comment) there's a typo in the title of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Pedant!

    I'm tempted to claim that it is a soup intended to be drunk by the pint and the typo was therefore a clever pun.

    But it's corrected now.

    ReplyDelete