Tuesday 26 April 2011

New toy: electric mixer

I can be a bit of a puritanical baker. Not in what I cook, but in the way I do it. Although I've had a food processor for years now, I tend to mix cakes by hand - it doesn't feel like I'm making it otherwise.

Although I do use the beaters on my food processor for some things, they're not very strong, and using them involves an unholy amount of washing up.

So generally, it's me and a hand whisk - even for meringues. It's good exercise!

However, recently I've been thinking how much easier life would be if I had a mixer - especially as I'm cooking more no-fat sponges, and they're just a pain by hand.

When I mentioned this idea to The Husband, he suggested I put some Christmas money we'd got from his grandparents towards it - because we both knew they'd be happy with us buying something for the kitchen with it. I also put some my birthday money from my Aunt towards it, as I wanted to buy something which has good reviews and a chance of lasting a good long while.

I went for a mixer in the Kenwood kMix range because it was good and heavy and had good reviews online – and, if I’m completely honest, because it's a fab almond colour and has a nice retro look. Until the day when I have the money and the space for a Kitchen Aid, I thought this would keep me happy!

It's good and heavy - so much so that my hand does start to hurt after mixing for a very long time, but no-where near as much as it does when using a hand whisk!

It also comes with a handy stand which keeps all its bits and bobs together - and means it can be kept out on display if you're not quite as desperately short of surface space as we are.

It cost just shy of £60, and I've already had a play with it, making both a very nice meringue and utterly failed mayonnaise. It made short work of both. In every sense, as far as the mayonnaise was concerned, but I suspect that was operator error! I'll blog both later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment