Wednesday 6 April 2011

Shopping: Pepperberry

After the Balmoral yesterday, we headed along to the new Pepperberry store on George Street.

I've been a Bravissimo customer for years, loving not only the gorgeous undies for girls with more generous assets but also the clothes - fab dresses, shirts and jackets which actually fit, rather than straining over the boobs and fitting the waist, or fitting the boobs and flapping round the waist.

But I've always bought the clothes online, as there really isn't enough room for them in the Edinburgh Bravissimo store, and so they never have the full range of clothes or sizes.

Pepperberry solves this - a whole shop, albeit it not a huge one, just for the clothes. The range isn't enormous - a couple of dresses and jackets were hung up in two different places in the shop to fill it up - but it's a good start, with everyting from suits, to pretty going out dresses, to day dresses and a denim blazer. If you find shopping for a plain work shirt a nightmare, then I'd highly recommend them.

The sizing works using numbers and "curviness" - so you buy the clothes size you would need to fit the rest of you, and then select your curviness - curvy if your buttons just strain a bit, really curvy if you need to go up a dress size to cover your boobs, and super curvy if you need to go up two, or (as I have to) plan what styles you buy based on your boobs. So I'm an 18SC.

The size range is a bit limited compared to many places these days - 8-18 - but the sizes are generous, especially the floatier 50s style dresses.

My size is the one that always sells out fast on the website, but in the store they had it in stock in two of the four things I wanted to try on. For the other two, I tried on a different "curviness" size, so I could get an idea of how it would look and then, if I'd liked it, ordered in the size I actually wanted.

I tried on a blue maxi dress in the wrong curviness size, so I could at least see how it fitted elsewhere. It was fine, but I decided not to order it in - at the moment it felt all wrong, although I don't promise not to buy it when summer properly hits! I also tried on a colbolt blue shift in the wrong curviness size, but it wasn't for me.

But I tried and loved this denim blazer (picture from the Pepperberry site)

 I can see it's going to be very handy in the summer, as it can be dressed up or down - it'll look great with a maxi or as a cardigan alternative, and I've also worn it to work.

And I fell in love with this dress (picture from Pepperberry site again, sorry it's a bit small!)


Fifties styles - fitted on the bust and waist and then flowing outwards - suit me and I love the drama of them. I was very spoilt, and my friends bought it for me as a birthday present. I'm planning to wear it tomorrow on my actual birthday - fingers crossed the weather's nice enough. Once it gets properly warm I think I'll be living in this dress because it's so flexible - I can see myself wearing it for a Saturday shopping, for a wedding, or for work depending on the accessories I put with it. It's a cotton and silk blend, but can be machine washed.

As ever with Bravissimo, the styles in Pepperberry aren't exactly fashion forward. I'm not the most experimental dresser and even I find a few of the things there a bit too safe - I suspect because they go right across the age range. But for a pretty dress to wear to a wedding it's perfect and, like Bravissimo before it, I suspect will always be my first port of call when I need a smart dress that fits in a hurry. And it's very handy for basics. I don’t wear jackets from anywhere else any more now I've got used to jackets that actually fit me.

The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful (one of the reason The Husband loves Bravissimo is that they immediately swoop in and rescue lone male partners who haven't a clue what to buy), so if all my talk of curviness sizes has just confused you, I'd recommend popping in and asking them!

2 comments:

  1. Finding jackets that go over my boobs and are fitted enough at the back = eternal nightmare. Might check these guys out! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are wonderful for that - and also for having no flappy material at the waist. However, the range is pretty limited - they only have three jackets right now, for example. When it was Bravissimo, I would buy a jacket every season, the second I saw one that I liked - suspect I'll be doing that again with Pepperberry. x

    ReplyDelete