Monday 9 May 2011

A summer work packed lunch


A few weeks ago, I stopped posting weekly soup recipes, because I'd stopped making soup for packed lunches at work.
But what have I been eating in the meantime? Now, I'll admit that, having spent more days not working in April than working, thanks to a magical combination of bank holidays and birthday annual leave, I've not had to be quite as organised as usual. And there have been one or two weeks where I've just nipped out to the Co-op near work or even to Pret if I was feeling flush.

However, most of the time it's been salads, based around beans or grains, with lots of veg, and a little bit of cheese, or tuna, to perk it up.

This is one of my favourites - bulgar wheat salad. Very loosely based on tabbouleh. Even more so at the moment, when my new parsley plant is looking too fragile to plunder and I'm not putting any in!

These quantities serve 4, or two people for two days. I'll admit that if we're having something like this I'll boil double quantities of wheat on Sunday, get it cold as quickly as possible, save half, and make up four portions. To me, the veg is ok when chopped for up to two days, the bulgar wheat for four, which is why I do it that way. But follow your nose and your own standards when it comes to how long you think food lasts for!

150g bulgar wheat
Stock cube/powder
Four tomatoes
Half a cucumber
Half an onion diced very finely, or four spring onions, or a large bunch of chives
Juice and zest of a lemon
Tsp mustard
20 or so black olives, pitted and halved
100g of cheese - feta, goats, or halloumi you cook while the wheat is boiling are all lovely (I know this quantity might sound mean, but actually, it's plenty)

Cook the bulgar wheat as per packet instructions, only substituting water with stock made up with the cube or powder.
Cool it down as quickly as you can - I find spooning it out in thin layers in the flattish Tupperware I use for packed lunches helps this.
While it's cooling, dice your veg and divide them, the olives and the lemon zest evenly between the four containers. 
Finely dice or crumble your cheese, and split it evenly between the containers.
In a jam jar or similar, combine lemon juice and mustard. Put the lid on and shake, or mix in a more sedate fashion with a spoon.
Split this between the containers, and use a fork to mix up the ingredients and fluff up the bulgar wheat. 
I keep mine in the fridge at home, and on my desk once I get to work, and have never yet given myself food poisoning!

3 comments:

  1. Looks lovely, and definitely an inspiration for when/if I ever break out of the ham and cheese sandwich purgatory I've been stuck in for the last 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy. I make a variation on this using Nigella's moonblush tomatoes. Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to eat the heck out of this later! x

    ReplyDelete