Monday 4 July 2011

Griddled tuna, wedges, and homemade mayonnaise


So I'm back. A holiday did wonders, even one spent house sitting for my parents, and after a week back in sunny Edinburgh (and for once I'm not being sarcastic when I say that), I'm starting to feel like I've got my mojo back. I've been feeling drawn back to the kitchen. Rather than doing the same old favourites every time, I'm experimenting. And I want to share!
This one, though, is a bit of a cheat - hardly an experiment at all, but the first time I've done a number of things at the same time.

I do two types of wedge. These, peeled and parboiled, are closer to chips - but not deep fried and incredibly easy.

I made the mayonnaise (for which see entries past) in the morning. I've got cocky enough with mayo that I made it with all extra virgin olive oil - and the result was amazing, peppery and delicious.

Then, about an hour before we wanted to eat, I put the tuna in the marinade, while The Husband peeled and parboiled the spuds.

We cooked the tuna moments before we wanted to eat, and I dressed the salad.

For the tuna:
A decent sized tuna steak per person
Juice of a lime
Chopped chili
Half a bunch of coriander, chopped.

Lay the tuna out flat in a dish, squeeze over the lime juice, sprinkle on coriander and chili. Turn so everything's covered. Leave for half an hour to an hour, turning when you pass whilst topping up your wine glass/remember. As it marinades, the tuna will change colour and start to look cooked. 

Ten minutes before you want to eat head a griddle pan on a high heat. Then, when it's smoking, cook your tuna for a minute or so each side depending on thickness. You want it seared on the outside, but still slightly jelly-like on the inside. I find a minute plenty. You can tell how cooked it is from watching the side of the tuna steak change colour.  You can also do these on the barbecue.

For the wedges
200g-300g potatoes per person
Lots of olive oil

Preheat your oven to 220C/ 200 for fans. Peel and cut your potatoes into wedges. Parboil for ten minutes. While they boil, put a good lug of olive oil in a roasting tin and put it in the oven to heat up. When the spuds are done, drain, and tip into your hot roasting tin - watch out, the fat will spit a bit. Turn, glug more oil on if they need it, and put in the oven.

They tend to take about 40 min - turn them half way through, and check them at 30 minutes. You want them just going golden brown on the edges.

2 comments:

  1. YUM. Gotta love a decent home-made potato wedge. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. Incidentally, the top secret recipe I had to get married to lay my hands on went down an absolute TREAT at the BBQ we gave in London - thank you again! x

    ReplyDelete