Monday 25 July 2011

Seared beef, lime, chilli and ginger salad

While we were on holiday in London a few weeks ago we ate at Wagamama's. They don't have a branch in Edinburgh, bizarrely - they have one in Livingston, but even the delicious noodles and discount shopping aren't enough to tempt me through. The Husband had never eaten at Wagamama's before and didn't really understand why I got quite so excited - and insistent - when we happened to be walking past a branch at lunchtime. He did when the food came. Yeah, I know Wagamama's hasn't been exciting or new for oooh... a decade now. But I like it. So shush.

It was a hot day and we decided to go for salad rather than a huge, steaming bowl of ramen. What we went for was the "ginger beef and coriander salad" - they described it as "seared steak with caramelised red onions,
beansprouts, red peppers, cucumber, carrot, mooli, ginger and coriander tossed with mixed leaves and
wagamama house dressing. garnished with sesame seeds." It was lush. 

Fast forward a couple of weeks and we were back in Edinburgh. I'd nipped into Waitrose on my way home from work for a pint of milk and happened to pass by the discount shelf. And then got a lot closer when I saw beef joints there. There was an amazing rib of beef which I was tempted to grab, but in my heart knew that two people would never be able to do it justice. But there was also a rump roasting joint - about a pound of lean aberdeen angus beef for £1.11. I swiped it and put in the freezer for the weekend.

I cut two slabs of steak from it, which we griddled and ate, juicy and rare, on the Saturday night. Mmmm. The meat was incredibly lean - so much so I'd be surprised if it was nice roasted, but it did very well as a steak. 

The next day, we decided to take the leftover bit - about 150g - and try to copy the salad. Not having the menu in front of me, and not remembering every detail, and not feeling like going on a mooli quest on the streets of Morningside, we didn't do it perfectly, but it was very, very good. 

Ingredients (serves two)
Juice of two limes
A red chilli pepper, diced (although it was actually much too hot and the ginger gave plenty of heat so maybe leave this out unless you're a chilli fiend)
A bunch of coriander
Pickled "sushi ginger" (we just got ours in Waitrose). A packet. That's not helpful. Um. Shall we say an ounce/30g?
Light soy sauce
Bag mixed salad (yes, I'm cheating, so sue me)
150g rump steak/sirloin steak/whatever 

I marinaded the steak for a bit (What's a bit? Um, a cup of tea then a Sunday morning shower and get ready... about an hour?) in the juice of a lime, with chopped up chilli and coriander.

I then had a play with my new George Foreman and grilled the steak until it was just slightly rare - probably for about three or four minutes? Cook the steak however you'd normally cook steak, basically. I did it for longer than usual as I get slightly squeamish about very rare meat once cold, unless it's steak tartare. 
Leave it to rest and cool slightly so it doesn't cook your salad.

Then I cut a carrot into matchsticks, cut the ginger into similar-sized slices, and finely chop the coriander.

I mixed the juice of the other lime with a good glug of light soy sauce to make a dressing. You could add toasted sesame oil if you wanted. I didn't. If you're using chilli, I'd combine it with the dressing too.

I divided the salad between two bowls, topped with the carrot, coriander, sliced beef, and then poured over the dressing.

And lo, it was good. Although not quite as good as it would have been if I hadn't put a silly amount of chilli in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment