Monday 28 March 2011

Census, roast chicken, and taking stock

Yesterday evening, while a chicken roasted in the oven, the husband and I sat down with glasses of alcoholic ginger beer (if you haven't tried it, do - it's wonderful) and pens to fill out the census.

We did it the old-fashioned way, with pen and paper, because I'd already spent the whole day at the computer doing chores, and he'd been at work. Anyway, it felt more of an occasion doing it on paper, and there was more continuity with the people who presumably did it in our flat when it was first built, ten censuses ago. Must go and find out more about them some day.

It didn't take long, as most things didn't take much thought - although we both put we understood Scots, there was some debate about whether we spoke it, which was settled when I realised anyone who heard me try would think I was taking the piss.

Two people. Living in a flat with five rooms. Married. One cat. Me working in PR, the husband "freelance", a rather elegant way of saying "doing what he can to get by, looking for a proper job." Getting by. Happy, especially when the sun shines.

It set me to thinking where I was during the last census. At uni in Oxford. Room in college, living with parents in holidays and doing work experience, desperate to get into journalism and take over the world. Single. Slightly spoilt. Thought worried about money was not being able to go shopping that week. Making friends and discovering life. Happy, although the lows at uni have been lower than any I've discovered since.

And what will the next census bring us? Two people. More, I hope. Maybe even four? (Crosses fingers, turns round three times and spits). An extra room or two would be handy if we are four. Married, barring the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Probably a cat. Probably a different one as Bacchus is ten. I suspect I'll still be doing something PR related, I hope the husband will be back in architecture. Getting by. Happy, I hope, especially when the sun shines.

We can't know what the future brings. There's something both hopeful and melancholy about looking forward. I'm off to cuddle the cat.

I'd love to know where you were ten years ago, and where you think you'll be next time you're filling in a census - please do leave thoughts in comments.

4 comments:

  1. We're exactly where we were 10 years ago - there are 5 of us now, though, where then there were 3 (just). Not much else has changed but the form won't show the upheaval to come as my wife is in the process of being made redundant. As for 10 years time - I suspect we will be in the same house and probably still be 5 of us living here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've found a forever home and have done a good job of filling it!

    Sorry to hear about your wife's redundancy. The forms are bad at capturing anything to do with redundancy - my husband lost his job two months ago, but as he's got casual call centre work and some freelance work, he won't figure in any of the statistics, despite the cut in income/rise in insecurity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then: Pa filled it in. I was living at home with the 'rents and the little sister. Two cats. At school, taking exams.

    Now: In my own place, in PR, single, one cat (gods above, that reads badly). Just started in a new job. Commuting to work.

    2021: Who knows? A different place, I assume (maybe even back in the 'Burgh?) Ideally not single, but I have an odd hunch that I probably still will be. Really ideally, not working because I won't have to - I can dream, huh?! Still with the Colin, who will have eaten so much he'll be officially recognised as the world's largest feline.

    Great post topic. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blonde: here's to you and Colin back in the Burgh within the decade! As for the not working - do you really think you could give it up completely? I think even with a lottery win I'd have to do something, even if it was just vaguely supervising yet another of those vanity-project shops that abound near me.

    And you're not the first woman to be enjoying life single and suspecting you'll stay that way - I'd have said the same five years ago (cue doomy music!) x

    ReplyDelete