Friday 4 March 2011

"Champagne" cocktails

I am writing this post on Thursday night, and scheduling it for Friday lunchtime, a good time to think about cocktails. I've just cleaned the flat from top to bottom and sprayed enough Pledge in the air so The Husband can't fail to notice how clean everything is the second he walks in through the front door, and I'm waiting for my dinner (an unbloggable, but nice, leftover pasta bake) to heat up.

I'm at the level of tiredness where absolutely everything aches, and I am longing for a gin and tonic. But even more, I'm longing for a champagne cocktail. Cold, crisp, strong with a hint of sweetness at the end. Just one this evening would first render me happy, giggly, dancing and gregarious - and then send me straight to sleep.

Sure, champagne cocktails are fabulous when you're celebrating. But to be honest, they're even better when you're not. Just as champagne never tastes better than when drunk on a Saturday morning in bed for no reason, champagne cocktails are perfect for turning a slightly ordinary occasion into a perfect one. Made with angostura bitters, brandy, a sugar lump, and cheap-ish cava (I have champagne rarely enough that I wouldn't adulterate it with brandy), once you've got the store cupboard items in, they're actually quite a frugal way to add a bit of sparkle.

We had them last Saturday night. Our upstairs neighbours had sweetly given us a bottle of cava to say thank you for arranging some repairs. So we cracked it open, got out the champagne saucers that Blonde and her Best Mate got us as a wedding present, and made the following. Delicious. And, if you're reading this on Friday, may I suggest them as the perfect way to kick off your weekend?

Champagne Cocktails
(per glass)
Glass cava or other sparkling white wine
Splash Brandy
2-3 drops Angostura bitters
Sugar cube

Drip the bitters onto the sugar cube, place in glass, add a splash of brandy and top up with fizz. 


4 comments:

  1. Ah. That sounds perfect. I shall currently have to make do with a cuppa, though. Maybe later.

    Lovely to see the glasses in use! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, they get a lot of use. They're always the ones guests ask for when we offer them a choice of flutes or saucers. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I actually don't like sparkling wine very much (not even champagne!) but I must try champagne cocktails sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good way of taking the thinness/sharpness off a less than lovely sparkling wine so I'd recommend them if you have a bottle that needs drinking!

    ReplyDelete