Thursday 10 March 2011

A Saturday night supper: Pork Ardennaise

The other Saturday night, we needed a treat. We wanted to cook something a bit special - nicer than what we'd have on a weeknight, something that took a bit of time and a bit of effort, but ideally not too much money (which ruled out steak, the go-to for treat Saturday night dinners at the Gin Palace).

After kicking round ideas for a while I suddenly remembered something my mother used to cook - pork ardennaise. I texted her and asked her to send me the recipe, and waited, confident the reply would come soon - after all, parents have nothing better to do than cater to their grown up children's every need, right?

Four hours later, phone still silent, I ended up making up my own recipe. It worked out well - the wine, mustard and cream combining to make a sauce I couldn't get enough of that had the Husband practically licking his plate. But it wasn't as good as my mother's.

She still hasn't sent me the recipe, because she wants to "have a think about it" first and work out all the little changes she makes every time but has never written down. I sympathise, as one of the many reasons I started blogging recipes in the first place was so I had a record of all the recipes that are just in my head.


So for now, I can't give you her recipe. Have mine instead!



Pork Ardennaise (serves two)
Two pork chops, or one fillet of pork, cut into medallions.
Four tablespoons of cream
Two teaspoons dijon mustard
Half a pack of lardons
One onion, diced
(Very) large glass white wine

About half an hour before cooking, soak the onions and lardons in the wine.

Fry the chops in olive oil for six minutes a side, drain the onions and lardons and reserve the wine, then add them to the pan and fry for two to three minutes. 

Add the wine and cream and fry for 10-12 minutes. 

Take out the chops and put them on a warm serving plate, reduce the sauce slightly and add the mustard. 

Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. 

Pour the sauce over the chops and serve - I served it with spring greens, and some parmentier potatoes left over from a Dine in For £10 deal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment